MEP Cost Estimator
Full Time - Americas, North America, Portland
This entry was posted on July 29, 2019.
Overview of Role
We are currently recruiting a MEP Cost Estimator to join a client-focused team. This is an exciting opportunity for a high-caliber individual to join and strengthen our office.
The MEP Cost Estimator will take the project and pull the necessary components together and establish, in an accurate manner, the anticipated cost of the MEP portions of the project.
This position is responsible for coordinating the mechanical, plumbing, fire protection and electrical aspects of the project with other disciplines to assure complete scope coverage. The ideal candidate should have experience in cost estimating, quantity surveying and/or construction management.
- Preparation of construction related cost estimates, cost plans, and cost strategies
- Reviews drawings and specifications to determine scope and quantities to calculate pricing
- Communicates, solicits and interacts with sub-contractors in various trades to obtain pricing for projects
- Determines quantities of materials in various trades by using estimating department software
- Change order reviews and valuations of work in progress and bid analyses
- Preparation of studies and plans on value engineering, life cycle costing, and sustainable practices
- Attends pre-bid meetings and site visits to assess the conditions of the site or existing building, as necessary
- Solicits and receives MEP bids, reviewing for scopes of work and pricing for completeness.
- Communicates with bidders for final overview and assures completeness of bid prior to inclusion in an estimate, bid or guaranteed maximum price (GMP)
- Reviews drawings and specifications for MEP assigned portions of Preconstruction
- Projects to calculate budgets from schematic through final construction documents as assigned
- Communicates with team members, bid captains, estimating manager and others as required, convening scopes, pricing, construction details, etc.
- Prices work as required to budget for MEP trades
- Provides complete estimates on MEP trades
- Develops strategies to pursue, estimate and win competitive bids
- Develops and establishes ability to budget MEP work without 100% of documentation to the point of developing ability to conceptually budget, visualize and plan a project
The ideal candidate will demonstrate a positive proactive approach to the role, and will be committed to delivering customer service excellence, with good commercial results.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil, Electrical, or Mechanical Engineering, Construction Management, Quantity Surveying or related field is required
- Recent experience and specialty in electrical and mechanical cost strategies
- Cost control in the commercial/institutional/Industrial sector concentrating on vertical construction
- Experience with conceptual and detailed measurement / pricing
- Experience in CMGC / GCCM process
- Experience with estimating software systems, onscreen takeoff software and BIM
- Professional certifications preferred
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions
- Indoor office environment. May require work on site location when necessary
- Equipment used includes: computers and standard office machines
- Essential physical tasks include: the ability to work on a computer and the ability to answer and speak on a telephone. May require the use of a ladder on occasion
RLB is an Equal Opportunity Employer. This company does not and will not discriminate in employment and personnel practices based on race, sex, age, handicap, religion, national origin or any other basis prohibited by applicable law. Hiring, transferring and promotion practices are performed without regard to the above listed items.Apply for job