Senior Cost Manager
Full Time - Americas, North America, Toronto
This entry was posted on July 28, 2020.
Overview of Role
We are currently recruiting a Senior Civil Cost Manager to join a client-focused team. This is an exciting opportunity for a high-caliber individual to join and strengthen our office.
The Senior Civil Cost Manager is responsible for oversight of construction projects and keeping within expected budgets, schedules and adhering to the company’s quality standards and the client’s satisfaction. Employees in this position will interface with clients, consultants, designers, superintendents, and subcontractors to initiate any action required to achieve the project’s goals and ensure that all project activities are consistent with Company policy. The Senior Civil Cost Manager should have the ability to identify opportunities within a project that will add value and help successfully accomplish the client’s desired project outcome.
- Prepare estimates, cost options, cost strategies, change order reviews, valuations of work in progress and bid analyses
- Acts as lead individual on bid and preconstruction estimates
- Prepare preconstruction estimates for schematic and design development levels for project.
- Review construction plans and specifications to complete quantitative take-offs and support estimators
- Communicate with subcontractor base regarding project scope, schedule, risks, etc.
- Lead and support bid day tasks including the following: finalize project cost & alternates; verify subcontractors’ scopes & costs; analyze project risks; resolve conflicts and questions on bid scopes
- Compiles and analyzes data on all factors that influence costs, such as material, labor, equipment, and profit margins
- Performs complex cost estimates and analysis for capital and professional services projects
- Evaluates cost estimating deliverables prepared by consultants for cost containment.
- Evaluates quotes, bids, change orders, value engineering reports, and claims for accuracy and completeness of stated costs
- Acquires and evaluates pricing documents, historical and vendor cost data for the development of cost estimates and price recommendations
- Accurately forecasts costs of future projects and changes to existing projects
- Prepares technical evaluations, cost estimating draft reports, memos, and letters and presents recommendations to management
- Work as integral part of our Estimating Team to perform plan and specification analysis, takeoff and pricing of various construction projects.
- Work with subcontractors and vendors to define scope, and perform subcontractor and vendor analysis
- Responsible for managing a complete estimate through final review and closeout
- Participate in Value Engineering studies and negotiations with contractors
- Attend client meetings
- Contributes to team performance by collaboration and effective communication.
- Contributes to and understands the clients desired project outcomes, identifies opportunities to add value to accomplish the desired outcomes.
- Adds to team effort by accomplishing other duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate a positive proactive approach to the role, and will be committed to delivering customer service excellence, with good commercial results.
- Minimum Education (or substitute experience) required: 4-year college degree in Construction Management, Structural Engineering, Architectural Engineering, Cost Estimating or equivalent recognized technical qualification
- Minimum Experience required: 5-10 years’ relevant experience in construction cost estimating of a variety of building types from program, conceptual, schematic, design development and construction document stages of design in elemental and CSI format
- Knowledge and understanding of execution of cost management services; good planning, organization and communication skills essential. Understanding of technical and non-technical documents related to cost management services required. Knowledge and use of industry-estimating software and Microsoft Office software programs
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions
- Indoor office environment. May require work on site location when necessary
- Equipment used includes: computers and standard office machines
- Essential physical tasks include: the ability to work on a computer and the ability to answer and speak on a telephone. May require the use of a ladder on occasion
RLB is an Equal Opportunity Employer. This company does not and will not discriminate in employment and personnel practices based on race, sex, age, handicap, religion, national origin or any other basis prohibited by applicable law. Hiring, transferring and promotion practices are performed without regard to the above listed items.Apply for job