Senior Cost Manager (Second in Command)
Full Time - Americas, North America, Chicago
This entry was posted on January 26, 2021.
Overview of Role
The Senior Cost Manager, Second in Command, in conjunction with the Resident Office Principal or Director, leads the office team and is responsible for oversight of projects and adhering to the company’s quality standards and the client’s satisfaction. Employees in this position will interface with clients, consultants and designers to achieve the project’s goals and ensure that all project activities are consistent with Company policy. The Senior Cost Manager, Second in Command should have the ability to identify opportunities within a project that will add value and help successfully accomplish the clients desired project outcome.
Essential Senior Cost Manager Functions
- Review construction plans and specifications during preconstruction to complete quantity take-offs and prepare estimates for all architectural, structural and civil scopes from schematic through final design for new construction and renovation projects
- Prepare value engineering, cost option and cost strategy estimates
- Prepare independent post contract estimates, including reporting differences in scope, quantities and pricing from contractor’s estimate
- Work as integral part of our Estimating Team to perform plan and specification analysis, takeoff and pricing of various types of construction projects
- Acts as lead individual for specific projects
- Review estimates prepared by Estimating Team, prior to supervisor final review
- Compiles and analyzes data on all factors that influence costs, such as material, labor, equipment, and profit margins
- Evaluates cost estimating deliverables prepared by architects and engineers, for cost containment
- Acquires and evaluates historical and vendor cost data for the development of cost estimates and price recommendations
- Accurately forecasts costs of future projects and changes to existing projects
- Prepares technical evaluations, cost estimating draft reports, memos, and letters and presents recommendations to management and client
- Attend client meetings
- Participate in design charrettes and design workshops, including presenting estimates to the client and AE team
- Participate in Value Engineering studies, reconciliations and negotiations with contractors
- Prepare valuations of work in progress reports from contractor draw requests
- Undertake other cost-related tasks as directed by supervisor, including review of estimates prepared by others
- Assist with training and mentoring others
- Other duties as assigned
Essential Second in Command Functions
- Identify individual key target clients and contacts for incorporation within business plan
- Build customer relationships to ensure high standards of technical service, secure repeat business and develop profitable workload
- Identify opportunities with existing clients and contacts and follow-up with Principal or President
- Identify opportunities with existing clients to cross sell other services of Rider Levett Bucknall
- Contribute to monthly team meetings and business development activity
- Share marketing information with other regions within Company
- Preparation and delivery of presentations. Prepare proposals and fee submissions
- Maintain individual project profiles
- Attend external functions to raise the profile of Rider Levett Bucknall and to generate new contacts
- Responsible for all aspects of staff development, performance management and mentoring. Partner with Human
- Resources for staffing needs and participates in recruitment that ensures adequate staffing levels coincides with long-term, short-term, and specific department and organizational goals
- Provides training and directly oversee employees’ work as well as setting goals and objectives
- Contributes to team performance by collaboration and effective communication.
- Contributes to and understands the clients desired project outcomes, identifies opportunities to add value to accomplish the desired outcomes.
- Adds to team effort by accomplishing other duties as assigned.
The Senior Cost Manager (Second In Command) shall demonstrate a positive proactive approach to the role, and will be committed to delivering customer service excellence, with good commercial results.
- Minimum Education (or substitute experience) required: 4-year college degree in quantity surveying, construction management, architecture or engineering science.
- Minimum Experience required: 5-10 years’ relevant experience of management of staff including project and cost professionals and/or technicians, managing major projects including development of project scope, goals, work plans, timeliness and implantation strategies, developing measurement processes/methods for assessing progress toward goals and project outcomes. Prior experience with developing and monitoring contracts required.
- Skills Required: Expert in quantity surveying, cost management, or project management, including planning, development, implementation and evaluation of large, complex projects. Good communication skills required.
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions
- Indoor office environment. May require work on site location when necessary. Overnight travel on occasion.
- Equipment used includes: computers and standard office machines.
- Essential physical tasks include: the ability to work on a computer and the ability to answer and speak on a telephone. May require the use of a ladder on occasion.
RLB is an Equal Opportunity Employer. This company does not and will not discriminate in employment and personnel practices based on race, sex, age, handicap, religion, national origin or any other basis prohibited by applicable law. Hiring, transferring and promotion practices are performed without regard to the above listed items.Apply for job