Overview of Role
We are currently recruiting a Cost Manager / Project Manager to join a client-focused team. This is an exciting opportunity for a high-caliber individual to join and strengthen our office.
The Cost Manager / Project Manager will maintain a primary focus on practice related services (management of the delivery of all project management related services) and a secondary focus on internal business operations (active engagement with business development, financial management, and staff development matters). Has significant independent responsibility for assignments including entire projects as determined by the manager in situations where the project scope and complexity are limited.
- Prepares and issues periodic cost reports to senior technical staff
- Reviews the cash flow prepared by junior technical staff and issues to senior technical staff
- With minimal supervision, reviews all change orders in accordance with the client’s approval process
- Reviews all invoices for the project and ensures that junior technical staff codes the invoices where applicable and forwards them to the client’s accounts payable department
- With minimal supervision, provides procurement services for the client, where applicable, for construction and engineering services, including preparing RFP and bid analysis
- Where applicable, overviews and reports to the client on contractor buyout of subcontract bid packages
- Attends the bi-weekly cost meetings to review procurement status and change order status with the contractors and engineering teams
- With minimal supervision, provides cost information on value engineering analysis
- With minimal supervision, carries out an earned value analysis of the project on a periodic basis
- Reviews the contractors close out administration and ensures that they meet their contractual requirements
- Contributes to team performance by collaboration and effective communication.
- Contributes to and understands the clients desired project outcomes, identifies opportunities to add value to accomplish the desired outcomes.
- Maintain and produce new and existing reports using a variety of different methods to provide cost and benchmark data to the corporate teams.
- Plan, organize, and direct the project management functions for assigned construction projects within the program.
- Develop project budgets, review budgets for active construction projects, and monitor adherence to project budgets.
- Review project schedules and interact with project managers, construction managers, and contractors to facilitate adherence to schedules.
- Serve as liaison with clients, assist clients with all project related decisions, and oversee the development of specific service proposals for those clients.
- Develop and recommend efficient staffing levels consistent with workload and assign project managers and field personnel accordingly.
- Develop requests for proposals (RFPs) and/or requests for qualifications (RFQs) for general and specialist consultant/contractors. Review and evaluate proposals, negotiate scopes of work, general conditions, and general requirements.
- Review change orders for entitlement and evaluate scope and cost of work, including labor and material rates.
- Work with Construction Division staff, the Finance Office, and the Office of Counsel to monitor payments to contractors and develop efficient practices for timely payment in conformance with contractual and statutory requirements.
- Work with Procurement units and the Office of Counsel to resolve construction related disputes, claims, and litigation.
- Adds to team effort by accomplishing other duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate a positive proactive approach to the role, and will be committed to delivering customer service excellence, with good commercial results.
- Bachelor’s degree in Construction, Construction Management Quantity Surveying, Cost Estimating, or a related field.
- 3-10 years’ experience in construction cost estimating of a variety of building types from program, conceptual, schematic, design development and construction document stages of design in elemental and CSI format at a mid-senior level.
- Practical and logical qualities and a methodical thinker; good problem-solving skills, strong numeracy and financial management skills; ability to write clear and precise reports and relate complex information to a diverse range of people. Knowledge and use of industry estimating software and Microsoft Office software programs.
- Must be highly articulate, have clear and analytical approach to problem solving, and strong decision making abilities
- Must have people management experience
- Must have excellent communication and presentation skills
- Must thoroughly understand and utilize Excel
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions
- Indoor office environment. May require work on site location when necessary
- Equipment used includes: computers and standard office machines
- Essential physical tasks include: the ability to work on a computer and the ability to answer and speak on a telephone. May require the use of a ladder on occasion
RLB is an Equal Opportunity Employer. This company does not and will not discriminate in employment and personnel practices based on race, sex, age, handicap, religion, national origin or any other basis prohibited by applicable law. Hiring, transferring and promotion practices are performed without regard to the above listed items.